Saturday, February 19, 2005

I poisoned myself last night


One green potato won't kill you. But six or seven may. This might be the only lesson I have to reflect on as I clutch my stomach and lie in the fetal position on my bed. Between bouts of gut-wrenching pain and distention in my lower abdomen, I have been sitting up long enough to blog a little bit about last night, a fairly ordinary and uneventful Friday night around the homestead wherein I just sat around and watched Zoolander on TV. The movie was a little better than I expected, and the food was a little worse than I expected. But all things being equal, I did Google "Green Potatoes" last night to find that infact no, Solanine (uh oh, here comes the pain again as I write) probably won't kill you, if you eat one green potato. But one potato won't feed a grown 26 year old man (Not again, I cramp and curl up) so I ate five or six. It seems that a six-pack of Solanine-laced spuds will do quite the number on your plumbing. Solanine is a poison that is present in all potatoes to some degree, but is particularly concentrated in the skin and eyes, especially in green ones. (uh oh) So when one consumes five or six green potatoes, bad things tend to happen. But not so bad, I think I'm going to make it, but it isn't pretty. For all you kids out there, stay off the green potatoes.

No comments: