Saturday, September 18, 2004

Saturday, August 28th 8:15pm (Warning: This post contains adult language)

So here’s the timeline on things. Josh sees Garden State. He likes it, a lot. He spends that evening downloading two songs from the movie and listening to them in a melancholy fashion. The next morning he looks up Garden State on the web and is surprised to find that the writer/director Zach Braff has on online "blog." This gets Josh thinking, he was going to send out some sort of monthly email and just never followed up. Oh well, so much for sticking with it. Then Josh realizes that Scott and Susan, his good friends that live in Glendale California, have their own website. You can find it at www.freewebs.com/zarzyckilife. Josh is about to call the Zarzyckis and ask if he can post some sort of daily/weekly column when he decides that it would be just as easy to start his own site. Tah-dah, here we are. So he sits down and spends five minutes punching buttons on his computer and "builds" a website. He is really excited about this. This the future of thought. He goes home that night and puts some pictures on the site and some of his personal thoughts (which was the whole reason for the website.) Now he is really excited and writes a snarky email and sends it to everyone he has ever met or traded emails with. This may have been a bit hasty, I say this because of what happened next.
So to really understand what happened next, you need to understand that I live right next to the Los Feliz branch of the Los Angeles Public Library. That right, my apartment is library adjacent. Not Beverly Hills or West Hollywood or waterfront but library-parking-lot adjacent. While this has it's many drawbacks (the mentally unstable love free goods and services) but it has just now come with one benefit, wireless internet access.
Which brings me to this weekends big blunder. I figured that if the library was willing to offer free wireless internet accress to everyone in and around the library, then why couldn't I just set up a wireless adapter in my apartment, which is within ten feet of the edge of the parking lot. Here's where my greed and desire for frickin' high speed internet has been my downfall. So needless to say I've spent my entire, and I do mean entire, Saturday, trying to unfuck my computer and just now, at almost 9:00pm, am I getting this damn thing back to normal. I had to use the system recovery disc twice before I could even get it to boot up properly. The system recovery disc, if you aren't familiar, is a CD, or in this case three cd's that contain all of the computer's original programs. This means that everything you've installed to date will be erased if you use it. I used it, twice. They take so long that the second time, I put it in and went and had dinner with friends, came back and it was still chugging away. Thats what I get for letting MicroCenter talk me into buying this glorified abacus. MicroCenter, what a wonderful company. Almost better than Circuit City, but I digress.
So after telling everyone under the sun that I have my own website, I almost couldn't update it from home, at all. This puts a crimp in the idea of updating things all the time. But for now, I'm back on the web and I can breathe a sigh of digital relief, oh yeah, and check the lotto numbers. For crying out loud, it's up to $100 million! That would buy a lot of bandwidth... Hmm...

No comments: