Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Halcion and on and on...


OK, 1:26am. Slight insomnia, nothing to be concerned about. I've now taken a mildly narcotic sleeping agent. I've done this numerous times, but I've been sick lately and I can't take any cold medication. I have a condition that interacts with a lot of drugs and nutritional supplements. I can't take regular sleeping pills or ballerina root, which by the way, really works if you can take it. I can't take Daschle or nicely or anything containing an any type of Ephedra. Even if it's pseudoephedrine, which is in nearly every over the counter cold medicine. Hence sudafed pseudo-fed. This leaves only narcotic sleeping pills to battle my insomnia with. And alcohol. Alcohol is good because you can have just a little to take the edge off and not worry about addiction. Not the same goes for narcotics. OK, 1:33, nothing yet. So anyway, the reason I'm thinking tonight might be different is that when your body calls out all it's defenses to battle off a head cold, things tend to affect you differently. Nerve ending fire off in weird directions and neural impulses get reworked. This results in what a lot of people, myself included, refer to as a fever dream, and I've had my share of bizarre nocturnal transmissions. Besides suffering from occasional insomnia and what I suspect is BPH, I have some sort of parasomnia as well. This means that sometimes I'll be totally asleep and think I am hearing, seeing or feeling things. I then "wake up," mind you I'm not really awake and look around the room. I'll sit up and swear I'm seeing a jewel-green snake wrapped around my headboard, or tendrils shooting out from under my pillow towards my face, or whatever. Usually it freaks me out and I reach for a light switch, or more recently, I've been keeping a giant flashlight on the bed next to me. 1:40 and I feel slightly relaxed, I'm listening to Brand New and chilling out. The giant flashlight is great. It throws a beam of one million candle power. For those who don't know, it's fucking bright enough to snap me right out of wherever I need to leave. Generally, this parasomnia isn't much of a problem when I'm working because my brain and body are more active during the day and rest at night. But right now I've been out of work and I can tell my brain is seeking exercise because almost every night I point the sungun around my little room and freak out for about 10 seconds, then I go back to sleep. Good thing I sleep alone, or someone would hate me so much. OK, enough about my freaking conditions. I'll status post later tonight if anything interesting happens. Hopefully I'll just pass out in my clothes. "Ahhh! Cobras..."

No comments: